Friday, October 13, 2006

 

Fires...

...The latest CD from Nerina Pallot, and it's fantastically good. You've probably heard Sophia on the radio, and may even remember Everybody's Gone To War, which was out a couple of months ago. These two songs give a good indication of what the CD is like - a mixture of slower numbers and some up tempo rocky numbers. In my opinion, there are bettwer tracks than these two, but they probably wouldn't appeal to the singles buying population. All the songs are sung with heart and soul, and you can hear her breaths as she takes a lungful of air ready to belt the next line out. It's reminiscent of Nathalie Merchant from 10000 Maniacs singing What's The Matter Here. It's something that enhances the quality of the singer as you know it's been done in one go, and doesn't rely on some clever studio trickery to make them sound good. I'm going to go and see her at Shepherd's Bush Empire in November, so I'll report back on whether she can hack it live, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. The way she hits the high notes on Sophia makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
The slower songs have catchy singalong choruses. All together . . .
"Hey you, could you give it a rest
Just take me home, come on and get me undressed
Put on a fire and make it enough
Oh we're geeks but we know this is love".
Someone who can work the beautifully alliterative lyrics "I don't pose perplexities purposely" into what is probably my favourite track - Geek Love - is also quite cool in my book.
Finally, all the songs have a defined ending i.e. they don't fade out like some other artists. Go out and buy or download this CD - it's pure quality, and I want to have her babies! No errmm, I want her to have mine, but don't tell the wife!
Anyone know what Dear Frustrated Superstar is like? More importantly, what is stillicide, and who is Phaedrus?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?